Friday, August 1, 2008

"Good People" get to Heaven, Right?

(This topic was suggested through a conversation I had with our Media Dept president. I thank God for you, Brother S)

I attended my high school class 30th reunion, a couple years ago. Unlike some people at the reunion, I hadn't kept close touch with my classmates, so as the reunion date approached, I knew I'd be seeing people I hadn't heard from or spoken to in three decades.

During those early years of my life, I wasn't saved. In fact, God didn't save me until the age of 35. So practically everyone in that room knew the "old Scott" who had been acting the part of being Christian, but lived in darkness, not the "saved Scotty" (I picked up the nickname in the military). They knew the former me, and at the reunion met the reborn me.

The night of the event, I sat in a room with hundreds of former classmates. A part I remember most is that some of the men approached me and thanked me for being such a good example to them as they were growing up (though I suffered academically, I'd been a leader in nearly every group I joined during those early years). I had been THEIR examples, but I know I wasn't saved at the time. I now know that if I had died earlier in life, I'd been living a life bound by sin, and the Bible says the sinner won't get to heaven.

So the question arises: is it possible that people who are generous, kind, gentle, and just plain "good people" still don't have what it takes to make it into heaven?

Hebrews 12:14 (Amplified Bible, underline mine) - Strive to live in peace with everybody and pursue that consecration and holiness without which no one will [ever] see the Lord.

In the Bible, the Hebrew words that have been translated into the word "consecration" describe a formal inauguration, a setting in or a setting up of someone or some thing (think of jewels "set" in a crown). Perhaps another way to say this is that we must "set ourselves toward God", and recognize our setting is supposed to be permanent, like those jewels.

Holiness is also defined as a state of "being apart", or separate-ness.

Pursue consecration and holiness? Isn't it enough to just "be good", give money to the deserving, not harm our neighbors; that sort of thing? The Bible says no: without living a life of consecration ("set" toward God) and holiness ("set apart" from the world), we won't end up where we think others - perhaps ourselves - are headed.

One of the quickest ways I know to "pursue holiness" is to set aside time each day to read the scriptures. There are literally dozens of "daily scriptures" or "read the whole Bible in one year" suggestions and schedules out there. Look on your cubicle wall; Christian calendars often have them. Christian websites such as Gospelcom, Our Daily Bread, Blue Letter Bible, and Crosswalk frequently have them as well.

Another way to pursue holiness is prayer. Another is corporate worship. And don't be misled: listening to gospel radio while driving or while you're at work (I do this every day) isn't what is meant by "consecration" or "holiness". Time literally set apart for God is what begins our journeys toward holiness.

It sounds so simple, but the concept is extremely powerful: take some of our oh-so-precious TIME, turn away from the world, and dedicate ourselves to God. Here's a suggestion: Start with 5 minutes a day, but ensure you spend those 5 minutes apart from the world, and get that 5 minutes EVERY day. Because it may amaze you how the phone will begin to ring, people will want to talk to you about a new sale, etc. "things" will come up and you'll find you can't give that 5 minutes without a bit of sacrifice. But press through. Remember, 'without holiness...' well, you know the rest.

PURSUE holiness. That's an action word. Not good thoughts, not good deeds, not "being nice". Dedicating some time to God, each day. And remember, if you need encouragement or direction, turn to any of the website links I've placed above. Or you can read these blogs.

God Bless each and every one of you. And I pray I see you in church Sunday!

© 2008 Scotty Ward

No comments: