Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Put YOUR Mask On First

If you've been on a commercial flight, you surely remember the flight attendant's well-rehearsed phrase, "In the event of the loss of cabin pressure, ......", which then goes on to say "Please put your mask on first, then help children or others around you..."

That makes such good sense: You're no good to others, if you haven't ensured your own oxygen source. But why do they need to tell you, over and over again when you take a flight? Because many of us place the well-being of others before ourselves. In some ways, that seems heroic and humble, but without our own supply of oxygen, we're incapable of helping ANYONE, even those we love the most.

When I became a young parent, I realized I'd been out of church for too long, and I didn't want my children to grow up without a spiritual connection. (This all occured before God saved me at the age of 35, but the lesson is still valuable.) I went back to church, because of my children. I wanted THEM to grow spiritually, but a year or two earlier, I had been content to ignore (perhaps minimize) my own personal Christian growth.

But I had the concept backward. If I didn't view my own faith as being important, how could I possibly expect my children to place their faith high on their list of priorities?

Luke 22:32 (New Living Translation; emphasis mine) - But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen your brothers.

So it's got to be me first. I have to repent, ask God to straighten my life out, and work to live my own life after Him each day, before I should make a move toward being "shepherd" or "encourager" of others' spirituality. In the verse above, Jesus himself says it best when he indicates to Peter: 'You first, then your brothers'.

1 Cor 9:27 (New Living Translation) ...otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others, I myself might be disqualified. (The Contemporary English Version says this beautifully as well: "...so I won't lose out after telling the good news to others.")

Matt 6:33 (Amplified Bible) - But seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given you besides.

In order to be effective in guiding others toward a life in Christ, we must first be the example, living our own lives for Him. Like the flight attendants repeatedly stress: we need to 'don our own mask', then worry about those around us. Once I have my own 'spiritual Oxygen' flowing, I can then become an effective witness to my family, friends, and co-workers. And they'll see how valuable a personal relationship with Christ is, because they see it demonstrated in me.

Thank you, Lord for showing us the need to pursue our own salvation through you, before we concern ourselves with those around us (even our children or spouses). We can be true and faithful witnesses for you, but only when we're allowing you to work your magnificent work in us.

Pray this with me: "I'm ready Lord. I make myself available to You. I'm ready for you to work your work in me, in Jesus' Name."

Amen

© 2008 Scotty Ward

No comments: