Thursday, September 11, 2008

"These are Just Reminders..."

Psalm 110:1 (NIV) - The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet."

Seven years ago, someone hated my country enough to fly an airplane into my office.

I took off work today, intending to have a nice quiet bike ride, and "process" some of the emotions I've felt - and largely hidden - since that terrible day. But instead, this morning I found myself driving my wife to the dentist for surgery, and then stopping at the supermarket to pick up her prescription. I was feeling cheated: I yearned to get away, to ESCAPE, and be with myself, even if for a little while.

So I was a bit prideful when I mentioned to my pharmacist that I was in the pentagon on September 11th. But the Lord turned the tables on me. Isaac in turn related how sectarian-led tribal violence in his home country (Nigeria) had nearly torn the country apart, and how pregnant women with divergent beliefs had been singled out for murder, so these "patriots" could kill both the current and future generation of their ideological enemies.

Then he actually testified! He relaxed his face, and went back to his work on our prescriptions, saying matter-of-factly: "These are all just reminders, that God is still God."

Lord, I thank you for the Nigerian Pharmacist who can still testify of your sovreignity, even after having lived through much more traumatic situations than worthless old me. Thank you for jarring my existence every once in a while, even if it takes a surprise testimony, in the midst of my one-man "pity party".

Lord, I thank you. Please keep reminding us, that YOU are still in charge. If you choose, as it says in Psalms, you will make my enemies my footstool. But until then, I'll sit close at hand.

© 2008 Scotty Ward

No comments: