Sunday, October 12, 2008

GRIDLOCK!


I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Living in the second-worse commuting area in the nation (Metro Washington D.C.). Here I sit in an Alexandria restaurant, because every route home to Maryland is so clogged that traffic isn't moving. It takes numerous changes of the light before you approach the intersection, and when you do, it's clogged with other motorists. Everyone tries to inch into every available space in the intersection, and so when the light turns, there's little room for anyone to move. The name for this? GRIDLOCK.

When my time came to enter the intersection, I waited until I could ensure I would be able to get all the way through. But those behind me got so impatient, they honked their horns and tried to drive AROUND me, just so they could join the parking lot ahead. So I gave up and stopped for a bite to eat.

James 3:16-17 (Contemporary English Version) - Whenever people are jealous or selfish, they cause trouble and do all sorts of cruel things. But the wisdom that comes from above leads us to be pure, friendly, gentle, sensible, kind, helpful, genuine, and sincere.

Lord, even in bumper-to-bumper traffic, you continue to teach. I don't have to "be like the crowd". If someone thinks I act weird or improper according to their expectations, the issue is theirs. Your word teaches me that if I focus on you, I'll obtain your wisdom. And with all the blessings we see in James, I'll be prepared for whatever traffic may occur. Because I've got you, Lord. Come what may, I've got you.

Thanks, Lord! You're awesome!
-
© 2008 Scotty Ward

No comments: