Monday, May 20, 2013

Wearing the Jersey Doesn't Make You a Member of the Team


"Wearing the Jersey Doesn't Make You a Member of the Team"
~ Anonymous


I'm a member of our Evangelistic Outreach team, sent by Pastor Hunt into the neighborhoods of Charles County to knock on doors and seek the lost souls. We don't go knocking on doors to find someone to "win over", but instead to offer people a helping hand, if they desire to be saved. In some cases, we pray with them at their door, but more often than not, the people we visit tell us they're not interested.

One Saturday morning, we visited a particular neighborhood, and as a door opened to me, (after introducing myself) I asked our usual question: "Do you believe in our Lord, Jesus Christ?" One woman's response was curious. As we broke the ice with the above question, her only and immediate response was "I'm _______" (Major Christian denomination). If I'm able to guess what she was trying to indicate with her answer, she seemed to be telling us "Yes, of course I believe. I'm a ________, and ________s believe, so I believe".

Well, praise God. I picked up on her cue, that she was at least affiliated with a section of Christianity, I said "Praise God. Where do you attend?" "Oh, I haven't been to church in years."

She didn't seem interested in a message of salvation through anything but HER church's denomination, which is entirely her right, but more curiously, she also didn't seem interested in attending worship services, Bible study, or affiliating in any way with the Body of Christ, even with her own local denomination.

Hebrews 10:23-25 (NIV) - Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

It seemed she felt everything was okay in her life because she was a member of a particular Christian denomination. She didn't speak of a private worship or prayer life, or of her own study of the scriptures. I got the impression she believed that by being a member of this denomination, that fact alone automatically placed her in right standing with God.

Philippians 2:12-13 (NLT) - Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.

This scripture tells me that IF I'm operating in God's will, I'm seeking to do His will all the time, and I'm doing it "with deep reverence and fear". Nowhere in the scriptures (with the exception of the Israelites; the Jews) does God indicate that by being a member of this or that particular religious group (i.e. "wearing the jersey") you are nearer to a right relationship with Him.

Bottom line: It's not about my membership. It's about working on my own soul's salvation.

I pray this blog serves as a reminder to all the readers that your (and my) salvation is a personal matter between you/me and God, and you'll find all about it by staying in God's Word daily and by attending worship where Christ is glorified (Scotty's Personal Opinion follows: how can you tell if one or another denomination or service is "good"? First, pray and ask God to show you where to worship. Second, try counting the number of scriptures they use as part of their worship. If you see only a few scriptures mixed in with all the beautiful robes, processions, incense, and high-falutin' language (see Isaiah 1:12-13), you might want to pray about where you're at, and why).

Don't make the fatal mistake of relying on your affiliation with this or that particular DENOMINATION (see Hebrews, above) for your soul's salvation. And by all means don't rely on whether it FEELS right to you (see Proverbs 16:2). Work your own soul's salvation, with the scriptures as your guide. It takes work, but Jesus said he'll never leave us or forsake us. The Comforter (Holy Spirit) is with us to guide us to all truth. Denominations don't make the difference. Jesus does.

Have a wonderful and blessed weekend, and perhaps I'll see you at worship!

(Published Previously as "Salvation by Association?") © 2010 Scotty Ward

No comments: