Monday, May 20, 2013

Who Guides the Wind


I cried again. Dolly stood in front of about 30 friends from the church one weekend at our house, telling them what a wonderful husband and help-mate I have been in her life and especially during her surgery and recovery.

And I cried.

None of them could fully grasp the incredible change God has made in my life. Only I am able to stand in the present, look back at such an UNglorious past as mine, and marvel at the goodness and blessings that I currently enjoy. And my joy is complete when I realize Dolly and others are involved in my blessing.

I am profoundly grateful for every moment of my life, because without them I'd be a different person today. God has patiently and lovingly watched while I stumbled through failed relationships and shameful habits, calmly listened as I asserted time and again how much I didn't need Him to run my life, because I thought I was doing a pretty good job of running my life my way.

Only He could know how these seemingly random and undoubtedly painful processes happened to define my character, and refine my very being. He already knew where my life would lead, and He allowed events to occur which would more appropriately prepare me for the life I live today.

I claim nothing in this world. I know now that every act and event in my life has occurred with God's assent.

I've spent many years aboard the ship of my life with sails furled and hatches battened, fighting and enduring the fury of the storms in my life, not knowing that a Higher Power was there with me, gently waiting until I trusted Him enough to release my tight control, unfurl and hoist the sails a bit, and allow the wind to take me in unfamiliar directions, to unfamiliar destinations.

I thought I was steering the ship of my life through my own courageous, independent actions, but I never gave thought to Who guides the wind.


Copyright 2009 by Scotty Ward

No comments: