Friday, May 23, 2008

No Rewards for the Wagon Either

During my prayers this morning, the Lord gave me an interesting "word picture". There were four items in the picture:

A Man
A Child
A Wagon being pulled by the child
A Pet in the wagon

As it was shown me, the man represented God, who was leading the child. The child was dutifully following the man's lead.

The child seemed to be my pastor. He was listening to God, doing his level best to follow where God led him. If the man (God) turned left, the child would turn left, so that his course closely followed his Father's course.

The wagon - in my picture - was the majority of our church membership (including me). We were part of the child/wagon combination, and always followed the child. The child would turn left, and we'd dutifully follow in the direction we were led (key word). The child would speed up or slow down, and we'd follow. We were, after all, connected for as long as the child chose to hold onto the wagon's handle (perhaps through his calling as our pastor?)

The Pet in the wagon were the other people who - for lack of a better phrase - were along for the ride. If the wagon went in an unexpected or perhaps undesirable direction, the pet was free to jump out and go their own way. If the wagon was going to slow or too fast, the pet's attention would turn elsewhere, and distractions would cause the pet's interest to draw them, so they would jump out and follow their own course. If the church would have an activity, they'd come (perhaps). They'd attend some services on some Sundays, but certainly didn't feel the need to ALWAYS be in the wagon (going along with the vision of our pastor, as he was being led by God). They were there, at times, and wanted to be counted among the number who were "following the Father" (because they were in the wagon/church and were being pulled by the child/pastor.

But then the Lord showed me what happens at the end of the road.

The Man and the child enter the home and sit down to a beautiful dinner. The door closes behind them, and the Pet AND THE WAGON remain outside.

Now let me bring it back to myself. Regardless how much I try to attend every service and prayer meeting, regardless how much I try to do things exactly as I believe my Pastor desires, in the end, I'm responsible for my own spiritual walk.

Philippians 2:12-13 (NLT) - Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.

So we all pretty much know about the Pet, those who do what they want, and participate in church business when it suits them. I've heard my pastor say there are people who are "playing church". But God showed me there is also a danger in merely following the Pastor, no matter how enthusiastic or dilligent I am in doing so. Because our pastor is - first and foremost - concentrating on his own salvation (see above scripture). And MY concentration needs to be not on following Pastor Hunt, but on following God.

And I shouldn't have to be told what to do. The Word of God speaks about those who need coaxing and encouragement and phone calls and chiding to walk the Christian's Walk.

Psalm 32:8-9 (AMP) I [the Lord] will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you. Be not like the horse or the mule, which lack understanding, which must have their mouths held firm with bit and bridle, or else they will not come with you.

My salvation is entirely up to me. If I am distracted or led elsewhere like the pet, I'm in trouble. But if I use Pastor Hunt as my SOLE direction, and don't work on my own salvation, I'm also in trouble. My salvation is not my pastor's responsibility; it's mine. I choose to obey or disobey. I choose to attend or to do something else. I choose to read the Bible or to watch the idiot box. I choose to wake early and pray or catch a few more winks. I can offer my body (see below scripture), or I can do what I want to do.

Romans 12:1-2 (NLT) - And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Don't let me stay a wagon, Lord. Change my way of thinking, so I take personal responsibility for my own salvation, instead of just trying to reach salvation through associating with Pastor Hunt. Transform me, so I can follow YOU.

Everybody have a safe holiday weeekend.

© 2008 Scotty Ward