Thursday, May 1, 2008

"Special Purpose" Altar Calls?

I know I'm a long way from where God tells me I could be, through his word given in the scriptures. And I know God is true to his word, even if I seem to have problems keeping my side of the agreement.

On Sundays, I listen intently at the time of the altar call, to hear if it 'applies' to me. You see, the altar is where I can go to unburden my soul and lighten my spirit. I arrive with my "mess" and leave renewed to strive another day. As I leave the altar following an altar call, I often feel much lighter (I have many burdens to turn over, you see). But I don't always come up when the altar call goes out, because it seems not every altar call 'fits my situation'. Sometimes, the pastor or preacher makes rather specific statements about the altar call, and though I feel the spiritual need to go up and "unload" frequently, the criteria spoken by the preacher doesn't always seem to apply to me. I'd feel pretty weird going up when the pastor called for "those who need prayer for healing in their bodies", or "those who don't yet know Jesus as your Lord and savior".

I am so very very thankful for those last, almost second thought, altar call statements that invite anyone who wants to come for prayer.

Because that DOES fit me.


Here I come, Lord!

© 2008 Scotty Ward

No comments: