Monday, May 12, 2008

Scariest Two Weeks of My Life

"Will a man rob God?"

These words from the prophet Malachi ran through my head, day after day. You see, I had "run into difficult times" financially, and just didn't have enough money to pay all my obligations on one recent Sunday. So for that one pay period, I chose to withhold my tithe. I paid all the other offerings at the church, but didn't pay my tithe for that paycheck.

From the moment I made the fateful decision to write the check minus my tithe, I was uncomfortable. I made sure to include my wife's tithe amount, as we always do. I wanted her to remain untouched by my decision. But the discomfort I experienced was palpable, and I felt it every step of the way to the offering table. But I had made my decision and written the check, and that was that.

Malachi 3:6-10 (AMPLIFIED VERSION, emphasis and underlines mine) - For I am the Lord, I do not change; that is why you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed. Even from the days of your fathers you have turned aside from My ordinances and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts. But you say, How shall we return? Will a man rob or defraud God? Yet you rob and defraud Me. But you say, In what way do we rob or defraud You? [You have withheld your] tithes and offerings. You are cursed with the curse, for you are robbing Me, even this whole nation. Bring all the tithes (the whole tenth of your income) into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and prove Me now by it, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

For the next two weeks, I thought almost constantly of Malachi's prophetic scripture. It came up during our Bible Study, during our Sunday School, and of course, was mentioned during our regular services. And every time I heard it I winced. I was that robber. I had consciously withheld some of my blessing from God, who has never withheld his blessings from me.

So I almost ran to the offering table to give my DOUBLE TITHE on the next payperiod. There was no relief like that I felt as I dropped my tithe envelope into the basket, and received the oil of anointing on my forehead. I was so thankful that God hadn't chosen take me out of this world as a robber.

2 Corinthians 9:6-8 (KJV) - But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

God can do all things but fail. He has asked some things of me (to believe in him, to allow him to renew my mind, to give without feeling like I'm compelled to give, to trust in his will in every area of my life, INCLUDING my finances). This was a lesson I do not plan to repeat. I got it, God. I GOT IT.

A while ago, one of the young men in our church said something that may sound cliche, but fully expresses my feelings on the matter of giving:

"Give God what's RIGHT, not what's LEFT."

Superb words, Deacon Maurice.

Blessings to you all.

© 2008 Scotty Ward