Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Fell Into a Funk, but Found the Fix

Recently one morning, I had what can best be described as a sense of "discomfort", or "ill at ease", and I couldn't seem to leave it behind.

My wife and I spent most of the previous afternoon/evening and all the night before just relaxing at home. No stress, no drama. The morning seemed to begin as normal, but then this "funk" settled over me. I felt so unsettled, I nearly called in sick to work. I thought to go to the church to pray, but instead got in the truck for work.

As I drove in, I called my wife and asked her if we could have lunch together. She does have such a calming effect on my soul. But lunch was hours away, and my feeling of unease persisted.

I arrived at work without incident, and spent a number of minutes reading the scriptures in my truck, but still I felt burdened.

Something beyond my consciousness was distracting me, and I emailed my prayer partner, asking his prayers that the Lord's will be done in my life (divine, not just permissive).

Wait a second. Philippians 4:6-7 gives both a description and a remedy for my situation. Here's what God says from the Amplified Bible:

Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.

And God's peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Thank you, Lord. The answer is not outside (day off sick, asking for prayers, etc). The answer is inside, where YOU dwell, Lord. You're telling me to be prayerful, be persistent, be thankful, and be specific. I gotcha.

The moment I grasped what the scriptures were saying to me, I immediately felt much better.

And I prayed: I believe I'll make it through the day, thank you, God!

No comments: