Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I cried - 'Intelligent man'

My wife told me a few days ago that a certain sister spoke about me to her mother. She was "born and raised" in the church, but since she had moved to this area, was attending our church, but hadn't re-connected with the same fervor she had when she was younger. As a result, she was sort of drifting: in church one week, out the next. Her parents (from what I've heard) tried to encourage her to attend services AND to partake in the para-worship activities, such as Sunday School.

I'm one of our adult Sunday School teachers. This young lady had sat in on a couple classes, and reportedly called her mom, all enthusiastic about Sunday School. The way my wife described it to me, this sister had said "Mom, this guy is REALLY SMART". I didn't hear any more on the discussion, but her words saddened me greatly.

Matthew 5:16 says I'm supposed to let my light (the original Greek word means luminescence, in the manner of revealing or unveiling; literally LIGHT) shine, so people will see what I do, and will understand my help, my power, my glory is in the Lord, so they too will give glory to God. But this woman was only able to see me, the 'intelligent man'.

There's still too much ME in me, Lord. John 3:30 (CEV) sums up my feelings: "Jesus must become more important, while I become less important." My prayer today is to become a nobody to man, to seek you all the more, to lose myself in you. To literally fade as a person, behind the wonderful radiance of your glorious presence. Let YOUR light shine through me and my life, Lord, so that others may see you and not me. I'd MUCH prefer being considered your child than an intelligent man.

1 Cor 4:7 (KJV) says "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." I want to be seen as a clay vessel, a capable but unworthy vessel, holding your most precious gift of light. Let me become small and insignificant in man's eyes, so that you are seen as even greater.

Amen. God Bless You.

No comments: