Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tell my Situation about God...

This is a tough concept for me to wrap my head around.

The Bible is full of people praying to God and asking for insight, wisdom, relief, and downright deliverance from their issues and situations. Even Jesus at the Garden of Gethsemane prayed to his Father, saying "...if it be possible, let this cup pass from me" (Matthew 26). He brought his situation to God's attention through his prayers.

But Jesus also gave us a superb example of bringing God's word into the situation. In Matthew chapter 4, Jesus is tempted by Satan after having fasted forty days. He was tempted three times, but in every case, he quoted from God's word (specifically the Pentateuch, also known as The Law) in response to the temptation. Instead of telling God about the situation, he addressed his situation by speaking the Word.

Deut 11:18-19 - Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes. And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

It's important to learn God's word thoroughly. And I know I can't learn God's word through sitting in church and listening to the preacher. I will HEAR God's word, true. But there is more in the Bible than I will be able to learn from a lifetime of Sunday morning sermons. Sitting in church and listening doesn't sound the same as Deuteronomy above, where we're encouraged to "lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul". A casual acquaintance is obviously not what God seeks from us.

Deut 30:14 - But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

The "word" in this passage of scripture refers directly to "...his statutes which are written in this book of the law..." (v10). By getting close to God's word, I have a better chance of staying on track with God. Makes sense.

So I can see an in-depth knowledge of the Word of God allows me two advantages. First, it allows me a better chance of patterning my path according to God's will. Second, it allows me to carry His Word into my daily life and situations. Then, instead of praying to God about the situation, I may be able to speak to the situation from God's Word. By studying God's word, I prepare myself for the attacks that life dishes up.

Thanks Lord. You've encouraged me to study and study and study some more. Help me not to fall into complacency. Only you know what lies over the next hill, and you've given me the tools (through your holy Word) to deal with them. But I need to study today, to be equipped and prepared for tomorrow.

No comments: