Friday, April 11, 2008

Is MY Testimony Really That Important?

I can't help sharing about Christ in my life. I've been so blessed, I'd probably bust if I DIDN'T share. But I know not everybody is so willing to share their testimony, their own personal STORY of how God saved them and changed their lives.

So it's only natural to ask, is everyone's testimony needed? Are we supposed to be sharing, or is it ok to keep my salvation "just between me and God"?

I went to the scriptures, looking for examples and directions concerning the sharing of our testimony.

2 Timothy 1:7-8 (NLT) For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord. And don’t be ashamed of me, either, even though I’m in prison for him. With the strength God gives you, be ready to suffer with me for the sake of the Good News.

This scripture tells me that I shouln't be ashamed to tell others about God. Cool, so it is good to share. But do we really need to share? Back to the Scriptures:

1 Corinthians 2:1-3 (KJV) And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.

OK, so Paul's example shows us that a personal testimony doesn't have to be dignified, polished, or perfect to be effective in helping others. But MUST I share?

Revelation 12:10-11 (AMP) Then I heard a strong (loud) voice in heaven, saying, Now it has come--the salvation and the power and the kingdom (the dominion, the reign) of our God, and the power (the sovereignty, the authority) of His Christ (the Messiah); for the accuser of our brethren, he who keeps bringing before our God charges against them day and night, has been cast out!(A) And they have overcome (conquered) him by means of the blood of the Lamb and by the utterance of their testimony, for they did not love and cling to life even when faced with death [holding their lives cheap till they had to die for their witnessing].

Wow. This scripture from Revelations says that the blood of the Lamb AND the word of my testimony are what are going to allow me to overcome the enemy (the accuser). So am I SUPPOSED to share? The Bible shows that a person's personal testimony is an important component in overcoming the enemy.

In Mark Chapter 5, the man named Legion is delivered from his demons by Jesus in a powerful, dramatic way. Let's continue reading as Jesus prepares to depart the region. Verses 18-20 (NIV): As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed begged to go with him. Jesus did not let him, but said, "Go home to your family and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you." So the man went away and began to tell in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him. And all the people were amazed.

There it is. Jesus himself stressed how important it is to not only be delivered from our sin, but how we are charged to tell those we know about it! But for the skeptical readers among us, did Jesus tell more than this one man this important message? Yes, in fact he told all of us (through the disciples).

Mark 16:15-16 (CEV) Then he told them: Go and preach the good news to everyone in the world. Anyone who believes me and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe me will be condemned.

I hear it now: "Me? Preach? No way; that's for pastors!". Well, the Greek word translated into 'preach' is also defined as 'to publish, proclaim openly: something which has been done.'

So MUST I share? I think Jesus himself made it clear. The answer is "YES".

So I encourage you to go tell one person today how important God is in your life. Your testimony is important.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: